Institutions supporting the Project “Forced Labor 1939-1945”
Foundation “Remembrance, Responsibility and Future”
This foundation, jointly funded by state and industry, has provided compensation to former forced laborers. It was set up in the summer of 2000 after international negotiations had taken place. Until 2007, 4.6 billion Euros in payments have been disbursed to survivors. After the completion of financial compensation, the fund “Remembrance and Future” is committed to preserving the memory of Nazi injustice. The Foundation supports projects such as encounter projects by local initiatives as well as traveling exhibitions and research projects in a European context. The Foundation “Remembrance, Responsibility and Future” is financing the creation, archiving, development and indexing of the interview collection.
Freie Universität Berlin
Founded in 1948, with 32,000 students, the Freie Universität Berlin has been awarded several times in 2006 and 2007 by the National and State Excellence Initiative.
The project “Forced Labor 1939 – 1945” is linked to the Center for Digital Systems (CeDiS), E-learning and Multimedia Competence Center, and the Department of Eastern European Studies (OEI) chaired by Prof. Dr. Gertrud Pickhan.
The Center for Digital Systems (CeDiS) of the Freie Universität Berlin is responsible for digitizing the interviews and developing the interactive online platform as well as educational materials. The Department of Eastern European Studies (OEI) at the Institute for Eastern European Studies at the Freie Universität Berlin is responsible for the coordination of the translation and content-based indexing of the interviews.
German Historical Museum (DHM)
Founded in 1987, the German Historical Museum has displayed a permanent exhibition on German history, comprising some 8,000 square meters, since June 2006. Along with the Cinematheque, the cinema Zeughauskino and a library, the historical national museum has a collection of 800,000 objects and a picture archive with three million negatives.
The German Historical Museum is responsible for providing the professional inventorying and the permanent storage of the some 2000 audio and video recordings and their accompanying materials. Excerpts from the interview collection are integrated into a PC station located within the permanent exhibition of the Berlin Zeughaus.